Saturday, January 29, 2011

PHÓ in a Flash

I am hesitating of making this dish - let alone writing about it. The reason is that I did not really make it from scratch so I just justified myself that this will belong to the "meals in a flash category".
I wanted some soup but I barely have an hour before dinner and I was craving for Phó. It is Vietnamese noodle soup that is usually served with beef or chicken accompanied with rice noodles, lime, bean sprouts, basil and peppers. I like mine with hoisin sauce when eating.
The stock or broth is generally made by simmering beef  bones, beef, onions and spices and literally takes several hours to prepare. Seasonings can include cinnamon, star anise, roasted ginger, onions, cardomom, coriander, fennel and cloves. I might have most of the ingredients but certainly not the time to have it ready in less than an hour.
So here's what I did:
1) Boil pot of water.
2) Add beef bouillon and beef. (Most of the time, beef are added raw but I added it at the beginning for more flavour in the broth). Season to taste.
3) Boil another pot of water for the rice noodles. Cook until done.
4) Chop some onions and lime. (I didn't have thai basil this time)

5) In a bowl, put the rice noodles. Add the beef, onions, bean sprouts.

6) Put the boiling hot soup when ready to eat.



2 comments:

  1. Ohh I never thought of making pho this way. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ JOY: I know the long process is better but there are times when you are in a hurry, this will do. Also, I was in the Asian grocery the other day and they have "PHO" bouillons!

    ReplyDelete