Monday, August 15, 2011

Tomato-Basil Simmer Sauce


It is the time of the year where pickling, canning and brining is a must for me. Why I say it’s a must because after I learned how to make my own tomato sauce, I just don’t want to use any canned tomatoes at all. It tastes so much better without any preservatives and you know where and how it is being made. I usually do at least 10 bushels of tomato a year and that’s just for our regular consumption. With my events now, I have to triple that amount at least. I haven’t started the “real thing” yet but since I have tomatoes from our garden, I have to do this small batch. I’m sharing with you this recipe from the Canning Magazine.
So here you go: 
Tomato-Basil Simmer Sauce
Ingredients
  • 12 pounds ripe tomatoes
  • 3 tbsps packed brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp ground pepper
  • 2 cups fresh basil, lightly packed
  • 1 cup assorted fresh herbs (oregano, thyme, parsley)
  • 1 tbsp crushed red pepper (optional)
  • 6 tbsp lemon juice
Tomatoes from our backyard
Basil, Italian parsley, oregano and thyme --- from our backyard too!
  • Blanch tomatoes and peel.
  • Put tomatoes in food processor and process until chopped.
  • Transfer tomatoes to a big pot.
  • Add brown sugar, salt, vinegar, and black pepper to the tomatoes.
  • Bring to boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for 70-80 minutes and reduced sauce until desired consistency is reach.
  • Removed from heat and stir in basil and other herbs.
  • Spoon 1 tbsp of lemon juice on each jar. Laddle hot sauce into jar, adjust lids and close properly. Makes 6 pints or 3 quarts jars.
  • Process in a canner or into big pot of boiling water for 35 minutes. Start timing when water starts boiling.
  • Remove from canner and let it cool.
Don't forget to label them and put the date :)

No comments:

Post a Comment